The history of one of the greatest democracies in the world is quite amazing. Its present clings powerfully with its past and promises a spectacular future to its people of all sections. The elite society and the humble hut dwellers are a part of the great legacy the forefathers had left and gone. If Indus Valley Civilization, Harappa, Mohanjedaro and Thakshasila are the glorious past, the ISBs, IITs, Genome Valleys, Silicon Valleys and Cyber Cities of the present times become the roadmaps for dazzling future of India. People of eminence became founders of the amazing structure. Eight decades ago, a visionary became the founder of quality educational learning centre to the people of twin cities which under no circumstance showed any signs of alienation but flourished as one of the best crowning educational institutions in the Old City. His was the strongest conviction that education was none other than a great virtue that adorned the society with sobriety and blessedness of knowledge and understanding.
City College owes its origin to the largesse of the VII Nizam of the erstwhile Hyderabad state, Nawab Mir Osman Ali Khan, who was known as the ‘modern architect of Hyderabad’. The college building was designed by Vincent Esch, one of the prominent architects of the period, commissioned by the nizam in between 1915-20 with a total outlay of Rs.8,36,919/-. The imposing structure is famous for its architectural synthesis – the harmonious blending of the pillar and lintels style of Ajanta and Ellora caves with the elegant indo-Saracen arches of superstructure and façade to represent the composite culture of Hyderabad. It is three-storied structure with a large central archway and parapets with many onion domes supported by brackets as well as corbels and lintels in the Hindu style of architecture. The building has four imposing arched entrances and has been built around six courts. These small courtyard spaces provide both natural light and ventilation to the classrooms.
Hyderabad, the capital of Andhra Pradesh, offers a fascinating panorama of the past with a rich mixture of cultural and historical tradition spanning over 400 years. Presently, Hyderabad acts as a link between Europe and Asia-pacific with a strong industrial, commercial and information technology base. Hyderabad is fast developing into a beautiful tourist destination. The city is popular for its natural beauty, mosques and minarets, bazaars and bridges and hills and lakes. India’s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru described it as the” Microcosm of Indian Culture”.
What was started as an Urdu School grew later into an Institution of Higher Education a legendary structure standing alongside the grand edifice of AP High Court and facing the beautiful Osmania Hospital. There is a sensational story about the gorgeous tree on the northern bank of the river; it had saved lives of a few hundreds of people when the Musi was in hellish spate. No wonder that this fascinating City beckons tourists from all over the world to behold its beauty.
Now the river Musi flows quietly, dividing the old and new city of Hyderabad. Puranapul, the first bridge to connect the old city, was built in the year 1578. Many stories* abound as to why the bridge was built.
The government city college stands on the south bank of the river musi, between puranapul and nayapul. The world famous Charminar, the edifice of the four minarets constructed by Mohammad Quli Qutub Shah in 1591 which is an exquisite landmark and masterpiece of Hyderabad. Salar Jung Museum, one of the largest private collections in the world and the Mecca Maszid, the holy shrine of Muslims are all in the vicinity of government City College.
HISTORY OF THE COLLEGE
The history of City College is associated with the awakening of the people of Hyderabad who realized the importance of education and established the first city school in the Dar-ul-uloom as early as 1865, which was later, converted into a City High School. The school moved into the present grand edifice in 1921. Intermediate sections (F.A) of Osmania University with 30 students were introduced in 1921 under the supervision of the high school with Urdu as the medium of instruction.
In 1929, the school was upgraded to a college and was named as “City College”. It became a constituent college of Osmania University. Consequent to the abolition of the Intermediate course (F.A) in Osmania University in the year 1956, the Pre-University Course (P.U.C) was introduced. The B.Sc courses were introduced in 1962 and the institution was named as “City Science College”. City College was taken over by the Government from Osmania University in 1965 and was renamed as “Government City Science College”.
In 1967, B.A and B.Com courses were added and the college became “Government City College”. In the year 1986, Electronics subject was introduced in B.Sc. In 1997, Industrial Microbiology, a vocational course sponsored by UGC was introduced. In 1998, it took the lead in introducing socially relevant restructured courses such as Biotechnology, Biochemistry, B.Sc (Computer Science), B.Com (Computer Applications), B.A Tourism and Travel Management, B.A Office Management. Post Graduate courses, M.Sc Biotechnology (2001) and M.Sc Mathematics (2003), are introduced.
The academic ambience of the institution is enhanced by the exemplary achievements of its outstanding Alumni. Union Cabinet Ministers like Sri Shivaraj Patil, Sri P. Siva Shanker, Chief Ministers like Sri S.B. Chavan, Sri Veerendra Patil and Marri. Chenna Reddy and several Vice-Chancellors, Doctors, Engineers, Scientists, Lawyers, Defence Personnel, Olympians, Arjuna Awardees, Padmashree recipients have been students of this august institution, continuously inspiring the succeeding generations to follow in their path and achieve greater laurels.