Brief History of the College
Vivekananda Govt. Degree College was founded by Prof.Khandavalli Lakshmi Ranjanam, an eminent Scholar and Educationalist and a few Professors and Academicians at Vidyanagar with a noble objective of offering instruction in Telugu Medium. The college initially functioned as Evening College with limited courses it was known as SVSS Telugu Kalasala.. Subsequently the college was taken over by Govt. of Andhra Pradesh in 1982. Since then the college has come to be known asVivekananda Govt. Degree College(VGDC). This is a Co-education college.
The college development has taken on stepwise. The donation of Rs.10 lakhs computers by Sri K.M.Khan, Member of Parliament, has lead to the establishment of computer lab in 2002, with an addition of more computers. In 2010 the UGC has sanctioned Rs.9 lakhs for renovation and installation of 30 new computers. The college is recognized by UGC and is receiving regular grants under 2(f) and 12(B).
In addition to the Conventional courses, New Job Oriented courses in B.A (History, Political Science, Journalism) with medium of instruction in Telugu, B.Com(Computer Applications) and B.Sc(Matha, Statistics, Computer Science) in English medium have been introduced. From the academic year 2010-11, an additional course B.Com(Computers) was also introduced.
Presently the college has got 500 students including all sections.
Presently the following courses are offered in Vivekananda Govt. Degree College:
B.A - EPP, HPP and HPJ(in Telugu Medium)
BA with Journalism is the most happening branch of the institution apart from the regular combination of courses.
B.Com- B.Com(Regular)- T/M & E/M, B.Com(Computers) and B.Com(Computer Applications)
B.Sc - MSCs-Maths, Statistics and Computer Science is a restructured course with state of the art systems and labs at the helm.
To provide Access to quality Higher Education to the students from diverse backgrounds of the society and inculcate human values to enable them to face the challenges of life with courage, confidence and mould them into socially responsible citizens.
- To provide quality higher education for empowerment and self reliance of the students.
- To offer self finance courses to cater to the changing needs of the society.
- To provide skill oriented training to students and make them employable.
- To create an environment to excel in co-curricular and extra curricular activities.
- To inculcate moral values and social awareness among the students.
- To provide stimulus to students to have concern for environment.
- To impart quality Higher Education to the students of marginalized and under-privileged sections of the society.
- To provide need based and skill oriented education.
- To facilitate all round personality development of the students.
- To instill the spirit of nationalism and secularism among the students.
- To train the students in Soft skills.
- To inculcate Human Values in the students.
- To develop creative abilities in students to meet the challenges.