BRIEF HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE OF THE COLLEGE
Government Degree College, Nirmal has been rendering its invaluable services in the sphere of higher education since 1971. The College has played an important role in imparting education in Nirmal and its surrounding areas. The college is located in semi-urban area. The town is known for its toy making industry besides being famous for its art paintings. Nirmal toys and paintings are well-known in Telangana and surrounding states. The forts and other historical buildings in and around the town stand as witness to its rich and glorious history. The Saraswathi temple at Basara, the abode of the goddess of wisdom and knowledge, is at an accessible distance to Nirmal, (70 k.m.) thus making the town all the more holy.
The College is located just beside the geographically significant National Highway No. 7 (renamed as N.H. 44) which runs from Srinagar in Jammu & Kashmir to Kanyakumari and is situated on the Nirmal-Mancherial spreading over an area of 21 acres of land. The foundation stone for the present college building was laid by Sri J. Vengal Rao the then honorable Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh on 12-07-1975. Additional accommodation on upstairs was inaugurated by Dr. K. Jaya Shankar the Vice-Chancellor of Kakatiya University, Warangal on 09-02-1993. Additional 6 halls upstairs with an estimated cost of Rs. 10 lakh were built during academic year 2003-04. At present the college building has 40 wide and well ventilated rooms. The College has 7 Science Laboratories and 2 Computer Laboratories. NCC and NSS units of the College are doing a lot of work in the sphere of extension activities.
The college was first accredited with ‘B’ Grade by NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council) in March, 2005 and reaccredited with ‘B’ Grade by NAAC in November, 2011.
The vision of the institution is
“to provide quality education to students and strive for their all-round personality development through extension activities; to serve the needs of students for employment and career advancement by providing employability skills”
Keeping in mind the above vision of the college, Govt. Degree College, Nirmal strives to
- Maintain its focus on learning and its commitment to continuous improvement of student learning and teaching effectiveness
- Use field trips and project works to foster problem-solving and creative learning experiences that result in competencies in students.
- Provide an environment that is conducive to professional growth, encouraging through systematic assessment and innovation in curriculum delivery and service; the faculty and administrative team to engage in scholarly and professional activities.
- To provide higher education to all sections of this area.
- To impart education particularly to the rural poor and under privileged sections of the region.
- To make the students self-confident, self reliant, academically excellent and responsible citizens.
- To inculcate human and cultural values and scientific temper.
- To provide opportunities for all-round development of students-physical moral and intellectual.
- To offer need-based education by introducing new courses to meet the demands of modern times.