SR&BGNR Govt. Arts & Science College, Khammam was established in the year 1956 under private management. Khammam is one of the backward districts of Telangana with the largest coverage of agency and forest area of Andhra Pradesh. A renowned Philanthropist, Sri Gentela Narayana Rao donated a magnanimous amount for the establishment of the college. Thus it was originally established as the first Degree College in Khammam district in 1956, a time when there was no degree college in Telangana districts of the then Hyderabad state with an exception of Hyderabad and Warangal.
The college was taken over by the state government on 01.09.1959 and acquired permanent affiliation of the Osmania University in 1972. It started receiving funds from the State government and the UGC on regular basis. Eventually the affiliation is transferred to the Kakatiya University.
The College has been offering 17 UG Courses and 06 PG courses and consists of as many as 2207 students for UG and 189 for PG courses, 61 teaching staff, and 42 non- teaching staff as its strength. The college has been reassessed by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) Bangalore in 2011 and was awarded with B grade. Gearing to meet the challenges thrown by the globalized educational and employment needs, the college has been offering qualitative education to the marginalized Tribal sections of the society. In addition, The Jawahar Knowledge Centre (JKC), established in 2005-2006, has been imparting the training needed for employability among the students and enabling them get placements in the MNCs. The JKC is a new feather ornating the SR&BGNR cap. Furthermore a sophisticated English Language Lab(ELL) as been established by the Commissioner of Collegiate Education, Hydrabad.
Recently the College has conferment of Fresh Autonomous Status given by UGC New Delhi, & Kakatiya Unveristy, warangal. for the academic year 2015-16.