At a time when the lamp of higher learning was burning dim in Northern Telangana, thanks to the foresight and initiative of Sri. Burgula Ramakrishna Rao, the then Chief Minister of erstwhile Hyderabad state and Justice Gopal Rao Ekbote, the then Education Minister, this college was started in the year 1956 under the private management with the help and donations from the public of Karimnagar and generous contribution by the Vemulawada Temple. The committee of prominent citizens including Sri. P.V. Narsimha Rao, former Prime Minister of India, Sri. J. Chokka Rao, former M.P and chairman of Telangana Regional Committee, Sri. J. Tukka Rao, Sri. K.V. Narayana Reddy, former Minister of law and Planning and Sri. J. V. Narsinga Rao, former Minister of Irrigation & buildings contributed their might for the development of the Institution.
As a centre of educational excellence, S.R.R. Govt. Arts & Science College, Karimnagar has produced several batches of meritorious students who have occupied prestigious positions in India and abroad. Late Prof.J.Anantha Swamy, the former Vice Chancellor of Osmania University, Prof N.Linga Murthy, the former Vice Chancellor of Kakatiya University, Prof Md. Iqbal Ali, former Vice Chancellor of Satavahana University, Prof Anumandla Bhoomaiah, former Vice Chancellor of Telangana University Prof Akbar Ali Khan, the Vice Chancellor of Telangana University were distinguished Alumni of this college.
Presently, the college has the status of an identified, lead college in the district, coordinating the academic activities of the other 15 Govt. Degree colleges of the district. The college was reaccredited with B by NAAC in 2011 with CGPA 2.95. The college is recognized by UGC under Section 2(f) and 12(b) of the UGC Act on 17th June, 1972.